Wednesday, January 7, 2009

AbCdEfG......

Over the summer, I was in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar with a local teen theatre group. I was in the chorus, nothing major or anything. I went through the entire summer dancing and singing and whatnot (even though I don't really sing well and can barely walk on a flat surface without falling). In the blocking, after Pilate whips Jesus, the chorus members were supposed to run off stage from their various stations on the low platform.

It may help if I explain that the different levels were as follows: Stage, 2-foot platform, Left and Right 6-foot platforms, and 8-foot platform. Anyway. The low platform was only two feet off the ground. It's high enough that a fall would hurt a little, but not so high that any major damage would really be done. There were steps at the corner of this platform, and those are what we were supposed to run down. To also help give you an idea of the picture, each of the young ladies was wearing a skirt, pants, a shirt, and a vest, plus soft, flexible jazz dance shoes, which are a little slippery to walk in considering all the dust that's on the various pieces of stage.

Anyway. So we got through tech week and opening night without too much of a problem. The first Saturday performance, though, resulted in me running down the steps and.... losing my balance while running down. Like I said, I'm not a graceful person. I managed to fall out of most of the audience's view, and really only the people on stage facing me saw it happen. I caught myself -- all 183 or so pounds of myself at the time -- on both my hands and my right knee. It stung on my knee a bit, as any running collision from any height onto a solid wood stage would. It stung on my right hand, but that's because I caught most of my weight there first. So I hobbled backstage and our costume mistress/cast mommy/mother of our director gave me an ice pack for my knee, since it was slowly becoming more and more painful to use that leg. Anyway, fast forward to the next day. I am told to modify my dance movements if I think I am up for dancing. So that is what I do. My leg still hurts, but as long as I'm not paying attention to it it's fine.

Fast forward to the Wednesday afternoon performance. We did a meditation thing before the show, and Teapot went to help me up afterward. I stood up... but jostled my knee in such a way that it was quite painful. Later that evening, I went to the doctor to be told that... oh, you've just pulled something, blah blah, take this Motrin prescription and ace bandage, get yourself a knee brace, blah blah, RICE it. So I do that. And eventually it gets to the point that I can use it decently again.

Now, my knee acts up sometimes. One of those times is today. I did absolutely nothing to it (that I can remember) and now it hurts just like it did then. So I'll have to see how this one works.


Oh! In other news! My friend Lohn is trying to set me up with Ducky. That should be interesting. I have no idea why he is doing such, or even that he really is doing such (he could be joking, but who knows?). I just thought I'd update you on that.


Peace, love, and Jesus hippies.

No comments: